Principles of Job Profiling
What is the purpose of job profiling.
That will usually drive the approach. For selection matching, skills audits, performance management or job grading?
For assessments during the recruitment process, we need a job profile to match candidates against. This is usually a profile consisting of a number of competencies required by the job.
For performance management, we require the profile to show the required outputs or deliverables of the position and a mechanism to measure the actual performance.
For remuneration we need a profile to base job grading on.
The Evalex job profiling system is based primarily on the levels of work theory of Elliot Jacques.
Jacques is the renowned author and creator of the theory of Stratified Systems Thinking (SST). This ground-breaking contribution towards understanding the nature of work – and how systems operate at different levels of management – has had a profound influence on the talent management process.
SST emerged a few decades ago and has stood the test of time as one of the cornerstone theories in organisation development.
Our modification to this theory is that the levels of work, which denotes levels of complexity can also be seen as levels of proficiency within a competence. So Evalex combines the performance outputs and responsibilities of the role with the competence levels required in one integrated action and then provides the functionality to assess both performance and competence.
Evalex Profiling System
The Evalex Job Profiling module, part of the larger Talent Management System, intuitively work-flows the user through a well thought out process.
It starts by creating and naming the position. Then the user can follow a number of options depending on required detail and customisation:
- Choose to define performance management deliverables or skip. Should this be chosen
- Add outputs and deliverables or
- Import from existing job templates.
- Output is a job performance management scorecard based on the “balanced scorecard”
- Choose to define competence profile.
- Quick create: Choose the nature of the work to be performed and the system auto-populates the job profile with the competencies required to perform the task. The system also indicates which psychometric tools are required to assess the competencies.
- Import form other positions: As you profile roles, no need to re-invent the wheel every time. Simply import and set new weightings.
- Build from scratch: This allows for a customised profile unique from most other positions.
- Output is a comprehensive competence profile against which competencies can be assessed.
The Evalex Job Profiling philosophy and system has as it’s output a an electronic landscape of the nature and level of competencies required at each level of management.
At a corporate level a dashboard indicating all roles, what each needs to achieve, the competencies required to achieve the outputs and the level of fit of the incumbent.
At a human resources management level a clearly defined profile of the type of person you need to fill the role and the comparison of multiple individuals and their extent of fit.
At an individual level how an individual fits into a role, their level of performance and competence and a personal development plan.